We send off 2016 the only appropriate way: by strapping it to a rocket and sending it to the heart of the sun, where it will experience a fiery death. The music was pretty good, though, as you've so far heard in the first half of our Top 20 Albums countdown. However, the big dogs have arrived in the second half, with artists from Japan, America, England, and Australia rounding up the very best that was offered to our ears. Plus, our buddies Tom Melesky, VA-11 HALL-A composer GAROAD, Tyler of Abstract Japan, and the Fleming twins of Wicked Anime share their favorite records of the past year.
It's the final stretch, and the finest method to cap off 2016's horridness and hopefully embrace a better 2017! It's No Borders No Race: Top Twenty Albums of 2016 (Part Two)!
The Boston Bastard Brigade kindly encourages you to support these artists, and buy their songs/album. You can find the majority of these releases on CDJapan.co.jp, Amazon.com, iTunes, the bands' official websites & Bandcamps, and your local record stores.
PLAYLIST (highlight to reveal):
- De La Soul (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Pain (from the album De La Soul And The Anonymous Nobody...)
- mono - Stellar (from the album Requiem For Hell)
- Galileo Galilei - Aoi Chi (from the album Sea And The Darkness)
- Skinny Lister - Tragedy In A Minor (from the album The Devil, The Heart And The Fight)
- nano.RIPE - Dia (from the album Space Echo)
- Beyoncé (feat. Jack White) - Don't Hurt Yourself (from the album Lemonade)
- Deftones - Gore (from the album Gore) [Tyler Abstract's Album of the Year Pick]
- SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS - Papaya Pai Pai (from the album Black Track)
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - I Need You (from the album Skeleton Tree)
- Iggy Pop - German Days (from the album Post Pop Depression)
- Babymetal - Awadama Fever (from the album Metal Resistance)
- Ghost - Missionary Man (from the Popestar EP) [Best EP of 2016]